Acknowledgement for Thesis
The acknowledgement for thesis is the section where you thank all people, institutions, and companies that helped you complete the project successfully. It is similar to a dedication, except for the fact that it is formal. Also, you don’t need to mention every single person who helped you with the research- just those who were most important to your research. For example, you don’t need to thank your boyfriend for making you dinner as you worked on the project.
In a research paper, an acknowledgement refers to the section at the beginning of your thesis formatting where you show your appreciation for the people who contributed to your project. It is up to you to determine who you are most grateful to for helping you with the research.
Unlike acknowledgements in a book, a thesis or dissertation acknowledgement has to be formal. You should avoid showing strong emotions in the acknowledgement for thesis and should simply show your appreciation for their input.
Helpful: If you’re having trouble with phrasing your acknowledgement for thesis, transition words will help to enhance the flow of your writing.
The acknowledgement for thesis section is included right at the beginning in your thesis formatting. It is placed immediately after the table of contents, before the body of the thesis. The acknowledgement for thesis section is relatively brief.
You should thank anyone who helped you with the project. Some people who are commonly included in the acknowledgement for thesis include your primary supervisor, other academic staff in your department, anyone who financed the research, and family and friends. Perhaps they helped you with your research proposal right at the beginning, or maybe they helped with editing your thesis. Regardless, you can recognise them in your acknowledgement for thesis. Although the first person is not used in academic research projects, you can use it in the acknowledgement for thesis section.
Although the first person is not used in academic research projects, or most academic writing, you can use it in the acknowledgement for thesis section. The acknowledgement for thesis section is informal compared to the rest of your paper. However, you should still refrain from including strong emotional words in your acknowledgements.
Acknowledgement Sample for Thesis
The acknowledgement for thesis should be brief and should not include personal details. Here are some good sample thesis acknowledgements:
- I would like to express my gratitude to my primary supervisor, Michael Brown, who guided me throughout this project. I would also like to thank my friends and family who supported me and offered deep insight into the study.
- I wish to acknowledge the help provided by the technical and support staff in the Economics department of the University of London. I would also like to show my deep appreciation to my supervisors who helped me finalize my project.
Some common phrases you can use in the acknowledgement section of your project include:
- I wish to show my appreciation
- I would like to thank
- The assistance provided by Mr X was greatly appreciated
- I wish to extend my special thanks to
- I would like to thank the following people for helping me finalize the project
- Mr. X offered valuable data and statistics which I used in my project
Writing an Acknowledgement
The acknowledgement for thesis is typically written in the first person, singular or plural. You will have to avoid getting too personal as this section is not meant to be a dedication.You will typically start with the person who was most important in your study. This could be your professor, your supervisor, the staff, or even your family and friends. The last people you should acknowledge are those who played a smaller role in your research.
Acknowledgements don’t have a standard length. It could be just a few paragraphs, or it could run for a few pages. The length will primarily depend on the number of people you want to thank and acknowledge. It is advisable to keep the length of your acknowledgement for thesis as short as possible. If it gets very long, it could easily become meaningless. You can limit longer acknowledgements to the few people who had a significant impact on the study.
In the acknowledgement for thesis, you should try to be very specific. Mention the names of the people you are acknowledging, and not just their titles. Some people have trouble remembering the names of people and how they helped them with the research projects. If you have such tendencies, you can consider writing down the names of the people as they offer their help with the research. You should not miss out any party that played a major role in the study.
Do’s and Don`ts
- State the full names of the people you are acknowledging
- Use the first person singular or plural
- Write in formal language
- Identify the role played by each of the acknowledged parties
- List the funding organizations along with the parts of the projects that they funded
- Use personal or informal language
- Acknowledge every single person who had even the smallest impact on your research. For example, you don’t need to acknowledge the waitress at the restaurant where you used to relax after working on the project.
- Include people who qualified for authorship in the research project. A person will qualify for authorship if they make a substantial contribution to the project, if they draft and revise the work for intellectual content, and if they agree to be accountable for the content of the work.
Thesis printing & binding
You are already done writing your thesis and need a high quality printing & binding service? Then you are right to choose BachelorPrint! Check out our 24-hour online printing service. For more information click the button below:
In a Nutshell
- The acknowledgement for thesis section shows all the people who played an important role in the creation of the final paper, except for those who qualified for authorship.
- You should use the first person to show gratitude to the people who contributed to the project.
- You should show the specific role played by each person and party in the research project.
- The thesis acknowledgement should first show the people who contributed the most to the research and should end with the people who contributed the least.
- The thesis acknowledgement should be added after the table of contents in your research paper.