Research Paper Introduction – Definition
The research paper introduction arrests the reader’s attention from a general perspective to one specific area of a study. It outlines a summary of the research being conducted by condensing current understanding and background information about the topic, presenting the importance of the research in the form of a hypothesis, research questions, or research problem. It also outlines the methodological approach touching the likely outcomes that your study can reveal, and describing the remaining structure of the research paper.
Research paper introduction in academic writing is widely used in the presentation of a thesis and academic work. This article highlights the best ways to go about writing a captivating introduction to help you fine-tune your writing skills at the introductory level.
It establishes the depth, the context, and the importance of the research by summarizing and bringing the reader’s attention to your thesis. The research topic should be clear from the get-go. The introduction needs to draw in the reader whilst summarizing for them what it is that they’re about to read.
You start the introduction of the research paper by presenting what your research paper is about. You’ll need some great sentence starters and transition words because your introduction needs to be well written in order to envoke the reader’s interest. Don’t forget to create some context and inform the reader about the research you have carried out.
Draft your introduction on a piece of paper and edit it extensively before you add it to the final copy of your research paper. Be sure to refer to the research paper outline that you created before you started writing. Your sentences should be short and precise. It’s also important that you do not oversell your ideas at this point- remember that you’re still trying to draw the reader in.
You should highlight the key aspects of your thesis. It’s important that your thesis statement is placed towards the end of your research paper introduction. You are essentially briefly introducing the reader to concepts that they will come across in your research work.
The information included in a scientific research paper introduction is very similar to what you would include in any other research paper. However, the overall structure of a scientific research paper is a bit different as you’ll need to include sections like ‘materials’ and ‘scientific processes’. Your introduction to a scientific research paper should highlight sufficient background information on the experiment that you did, making it easy for readers to understand and evaluate your research work.
The rationale for research is the highlight of why your research topic is worthy of the study and experimentation and how it adds value to already existing research works. You will probably need to bury yourself in books, do your research in the library and undertake descriptive research for your specific field. You need to become an expert in your chosen field and you should know exactly what you are contributing to the academic community with your research.
Tip: Read about the different parts of a research paper for a full rundown of which parts go where.
Research Paper Introduction: Structure
The structure of a research paper introduction should contain the main goal and the objective of the research. It should be a concise but enlightening outline of the soon-after context. Here you are required to state your rationale or reasons why you want to major into a particular subject or instead what problems you seek to solve in the subject matter.
Therefore, you need comprehensible argumentation to emphasize the importance of your research topic to your reader. In addition, you want to excite the readers curiosity for the subject. Below you will find the prime points to create a convincing research paper introduction.
The Do’s and Don’ts
One of the things that should be evident throughout your research paper introduction is honesty to your readers. This will go a long way in establishing a piece of research work that can be relied on by other students and researchers in the future. You will also not find it hard explaining the rest of the research paper to the panellists.
• Your research paper introduction should be short, accurate and precise. Don´t tell stories at the introductory level of your research.
• Pick-point the ideas you want to talk about and the methodologies that you have derived from the course work for you to solve the hindrances that you encountered on the ground.
• Refer to diverse research paper introduction works and make sure to look for up-to-date researches for your thesis.
• Provide tangible shreds of evidence and supporting arguments to blueprint your findings, and at least prove the fact that what you are presenting is well researched as well as authentic.
• Find it worth to include relevant terms, may it be scientific or mathematical or even theological.
• Always remember to proofread your work.
• Scrutinize your research paper introduction before presentation for reliability and present it with utmost logic to show how it supports your research and not a mere throwing in of figures.
• Do not write a lengthy research paper introduction. What will you write in the rest of the paper if you tell it all here?
• Do not state incomplete reasons for carrying out the research. You want to be as convincing as possible in your research paper introduction.
• Do not exceed the stated word limit. It brings about the fact that you do not know what you are talking about, instead, you present yourself as a bluff.
• Do not plagiarize your research paper introduction, just like any other portion of your research work. Check this before any submissions. Make sure all the hypothetical findings are genuine and unique.
Research Paper Introduction: Example
Paper printing & binding
You are already done writing your research paper and need a high quality printing & binding service? Then you are right to choose BachelorPrint! Check out our 24-hour online printing service. For more information click the button below:
In a nutshell
- Research paper introduction introduces the core topic to your thesis.
- The introduction explains where you are coming from concerning your research. Therefore make your research paper introduction precise.
- The research paper introduction should be short, concise, and accurate.
- Your research paper introduction should highlight the rationale of your research, which is the support of the worthiness of your study and research experiments.
- A research paper introduction should be free from plagiarism.