Essay writing can be a trying experience. Having to finish an essay in a few hours or days? Even more arduous. As time is of the essence, you’ll need as much help as possible to pull it off. Below are tips on how to write an essay fast.
Definition: How to write an essay fast
Essay writing is a fundamental skill for college students, regardless of their major. You’ll be obliged to compose an essay at some point during your degree. This can be a compulsory assignment where you must write on a predetermined topic or an essay on your chosen topic. Either way, essay writing is something you can’t avoid as a student.
Basic essay format: How to write an essay fast
Essay writing isn’t merely a linear listing of concepts. It also necessitates a well-structured framework and format to compile all research in one place. Each essay must include an introduction, body paragraphs, and a conclusion to contain all the pertinent material.
The 5 steps of How to write an essay fast
Follow these procedures on how to write an essay fast to meet the deadline, whether you have a week, a few days, or just a few hours remaining.
How to write an essay fast: Step 1: Organize
Having a basic schedule of how much time you invest in each section of your essay helps you avoid lingering longer than necessary in an area. Set deadlines with built-in breaks regardless of the time you have.
When planning on how to write an essay fast, time allocation should be as follows:
- Brainstorming: 10 %
- Outlining: 10 %
- Writing: 40 %
- Revising: 30 %
- Taking breaks in between: 10 %
If you have a few hours:
- Brainstorming: 15–30 minutes
- Outlining: 15–30 minutes
- Writing: 2–3 hours
- Revising: 1–2 hours
If you have a few days:
- Brainstorming: Day 1
- Outlining: Day 1
- Writing: Days 1, 2, and 3
- Revising: Days 2 and 3
How to write an essay fast: Step 2: Brainstorm
The second step in devising a plan on how to write an essay fast should be brainstorming. Complete these tasks to quickly brainstorm your topic:1
How to write an essay fast: Step 3: Outline
Outlining is the third step on how to write an essay fast. Use a narrative framework if you have a single story on overcoming a challenge or personal growth. This essay genre narrates a story chronologically. This structure is simpler if you are short on time.
If several of your stories share a common theme, use a montage framework to link them. Use this outline if you have more than a few hours to work on your paper.2
How to write an essay fast: Step 4: Write
Unique storytelling sets you apart from others and helps your essay stand out. Keep these in mind on how to write an essay fast:
- Emphasise key instances rather than summarizing a lengthy time frame.
- Be open and honest with your feelings and thoughts.
- Be authentic and strike the right tone.
- Keep the spotlight on you and not on someone else.
- Describe sensory details to evoke vivid images.
How to write an essay fast: Step 5: Revise
Finishing up on the conclusion doesn’t mean you’re done with the essay. Always review your paper for completeness and allow sufficient time for revising your essay. You should strive for three rounds of revision to review the content, clarity, and grammar.
Prioritise clarity and precise grammar if you’re pressed for time.3
How to write an essay fast: Example
Overcoming a challenge, a sports injury narrative
This essay describes how a student overcame a hardship, specifically a sports injury, using a narrative structure. As this topic is often overused, the essay must contain a vivid description, a compelling opening and conclusion, and an insightful analysis.
Topic and framework
- I’ve chosen a topic with personal significance.
- This essay reveals something distinct from the rest of my application materials.
- My narrative is lucid and well-structured.
- I’ve concluded with a creative or insightful ending.
Writing style and tone
- I’ve created an attention-grabbing introduction with vivid visuals.
- My essay is demonstrative rather than descriptive.
- I’ve used the proper tone and style.
- I’ve used detailed, vivid, and difficult-to-replicate personal stories.
- My article demonstrates my positive characteristics and values.
- This essay is about me, not another individual or entity.
- My writing contains self-reflection and insight.
- I’ve kept to the word limit, staying within 10% of the maximum word count.
When planning on how to write an essay fast:
- Set yourself deadlines
If your college essay exceeds the word count, trim sentences that contain digressions or irrelevant information.
While editing your college essay, first consider the essay’s message and overall structure. Then, evaluate the text’s flow, tone, style, and clarity. Lastly, concentrate on correcting grammar and punctuation errors.
1 Fayz, Arash. “How to Write an Essay in Under 30 Minutes: 10 Steps.” wikiHow, March 24, 2023.
2 Novikova, Maryna. “How to Write an Essay Fast Like a Pro.” Edusson Blog, March 24, 2023. https://edusson.com/blog/how-to-write-an-essay-fast.
3 Park, Alvin. How To Write an Essay Fast (Without Losing Quality), 2022.
4 Patterson, Ransom. How to Write High-Quality Papers and Essays More Quickly. College Info Geek, 2022.